Our English curriculum offers a literacy-rich environment that develops and promotes student's use of language.
Through this subject, students gain a comprehensive understanding of the way literature uses language to reflect on issues of personal and social significance. They are taught to think critically about the media and the way in which language is used to inform, persuade and entertain. Most importantly, students gain an appreciation for the way language influences, and is influenced by, the world we live in.
Our vision is that all students, no matter their pathway, graduate year 12:
- with an appreciation and profound understanding of literature
- with the capability to be critical consumers of media
- knowing what it means to read and write in the world beyond school
- having acquired the literacy skills needed to be successful in their next stage of learning.
All students participate in the Australian Curriculum: English at their year level from Year 7 to Year 9. An overview of the curriculum, including topics and suggested assessment tasks, is available in the Junior Secondary Handbook.
In Year 10 all students participate in the Australian Curriculum: English. An overview of the curriculum, including topics and suggested assessment tasks is available in the Year 10 Curriculum Handbook 2019.pdf
In Year 11 and Year 12, our students are required to select a minimum of one from three English courses: English, English for ESL Learners and English Communication.
Details of the prerequisites, topics and likely assessment can be found in the Senior Subject Selection Handbook.pdf
Co-curricular English activities
In addition to the regular coursework, all students have access to guest authors and presenters connected with their curriculum, at least once per year. This includes events like:
- a poet-in-residence, who ‘lives’ in the school for a week
- Grin & Tonic theatre troupe, our Shakespearean guest performers
- regular and high profile guest authors like novelist Michael Bauer and journalist Matthew Condon
- our yearly short story competition, sponsored generously by our P&C Interschool debating.